We all envy the perfect skin around the elbows and knees of the celebrities. Dark elbows and knees are problems faced by many women. It is also a common problem for which the solution is either not available or not known to everyone.
You don’t have to resort to any expensive treatments or creams to get rid of dark knees and elbows. In fact, you can seek the cure for this problem around you and can definitely treat it naturally with easily available ingredients.
Before we know about how to lighten our knees and elbows, firstly, it is important for us to know what makes our elbows and knees to turn dark.
So, why do our knees and elbows turn dark?
- The major contributors to the darkening of knees and elbows are improper hygiene and poor personal care.
- Even bad postures, excessive sitting and leaning on things can cause darkening of these areas.
- Deposits of pollutants could also be one of the reasons.
- Elbows and knees are made of layers of skin which is usually dry hence it is important to take of this area of skin as it can easily turn dark.
What not to do to lighten your elbows and knees?
- Firstly, don’t obsessively use the skin whitening products on the affected areas.
- As most of these products are not meant for specifically these areas they tend to dry them out and causing further darkening in long term.
- These products sometimes make your skin sensitive which can further harm the areas.
What to do for elbows and knees in your regular skincare regime?
- Make sure you are moisturizing your knees and elbows on a daily basis. It is recommended to do so at least twice a day i.e. once after the bath and another time before you sleep in the night.
- Try to use a thick and greasy moisturizer as these areas generally tend to get very dry it would lock in the moisture for a long time.
- Try to only include herbal products or home remedies on these areas to avoid long term consequences.
What are the DIY treatments to lighten knees and elbows?
- Hydrogen Peroxide: It is used to cleanse and it also used often as bleach. Hydrogen peroxide can work wonders to cure discoloration and in turn lightening the affected areas. Hence, take few drops of hydrogen peroxide on a pad of cotton and dab it all over your knees and elbows. Repeat this process daily to see effective results.
- Exfoliation: Try to exfoliate the skin around these areas with a homemade exfoliator at least once a week. Gram flour, curd and honey scrub can work wonders if used regularly.
- Lemon: Lemon is one of the best natural bleaches available to us right in our kitchens. Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with rose water and apply it on knees and elbows on a daily basis.
With all these tips and tricks you can very confidently show off your elbows and knees in short dress and sleeveless tops.